Westport House wins Irish Tourism Industry Award
Westport House has been named Best Leisure Tourism Innovation at the Irish Tourism Industry Awards 2017.
The awards are organised by the Irish Tourist Industry Confederation (ITIC) in conjunction with Fáilte Ireland and Tourism Ireland.
The team representing Westport House were delighted to receive the biggest cheer of the night as they collected their award from Minister for Tourism Shane Ross.
Director of Sales & Marketing at Westport House Biddy Hughes said: “This award is so meaningful in this time of transition. It recognises not just the innovation but the pioneering spirit and hard work of the Browne family in opening up their home to the public 57 years ago. And it is a fantastic start to the bright future of the Hughes family at Westport House.”
There were 14 categories winners overall from 250 entries. The judging panel included; Maurice Pratt, Chairman of the Uniphar Group; Noirín Hegarty, Operations Director with Lonely Planet; Philip Browne, Chief Executive of the IRFU; Simon McKeever, Chief Executive, the Irish Exporters’ Association and Marian O’Gorman, Chief Executive, the Kilkenny Group.
The full list of winners included:
- Best International Access Initiative: Dublin Airport
- Best international Marketing Initiative: MCI Dublin for the World Buiatrics Congress
- Best Leisure Tourism Innovation (city): King John’s Castle, Limerick
- Best Leisure Tourism Innovation (county): Westport House, Mayo
- Best Business Tourism Innovation: Green Light Events – Google Sales Conference
- Best Environmental Tourism Innovation: Lullymore Heritage & Discovery Park, Co. Kildare
- Best Local Authority Tourism innovation: The Lough Derg Marketing Group (a joint initiative of Tipperary, Clare and Galway County Councils)
- Best Innovative Place to Stay: River Valley Holiday Park, Co. Wicklow
- Best Festival/Event Experience (over 50,000 people): Bray Air Display
- Best Festival/Event Experience (under 50,000 people): Aer Lingus College Football Classic 2016
- Best Adventure Experience: Vagabond Tours of Ireland
- Best Food & Beverage Experience: Airfield Estate, Dundrum, Dublin
- Best Cultural Experience (over 100,000 people): GPO Witness History, Dublin
- Best Cultural Experience (under 100,000 people): Cnoc Suain, Connemara, Co. Galway
- Special recognition Award: Ireland 2016 Centenary Programme